Thursday, February 25, 2010

even if

I had a wonderful encounter with God yesterday.

In an ordinary moment, He caught me by surprise. He met me where I was. He heard my cry. He spoke truth into my heart.

We are going through a deep, dark valley, facing a personal battle that has turned everything upside down and inside out. I am praying, praying, praying - for healing, for deliverance, for grace, for strength. It is the hardest season we've walked through in our twelve years together - and if you know us, you know that we've had our share of hard seasons.

Yesterday, I needed to be with other believers. I was drained. I needed to share my burden and be lifted up in prayer. I needed encouragement and nourishment from God's word. So, I left my sick children at home with Ben and went to our wonderful House Church.

Our leader took us into the book of Daniel, and the story of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego. Inside of such a familiar tale, God brought new revelation that spoke so clearly to my need, I could hardly contain myself. If you don't know the story, King Nebuchadnezzar commanded that all of the people bow down in worship before an idol. Three of his officials refused to do so. When he threatened them with certain death in his fiery furnace, they responded:
"Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up." Dan. 3:16-18
It was the last verse that pierced my heart. The words that are still repeating in my mind: Even if. Even if. Even if.

Even if we never get our dream house...

Even if we never make it to Europe...

Even if Ben's business fails...

Even if our children fail us...

Even if I'm never healed of migraines...

Even if we get cancer...

Even if our circumstances never change...

Even if we don't get out of the valley...

Even if our lives fall apart, we will not turn away from God. We will not forget his promises, his faithfulness, his goodness, or his mercy.

We will not be abandoned.

We will be whole, and loved, and provided for.

We will have Jesus.

Even. If.

6 comments:

Kyla Kay said...

That has been one of my favorite verses too for pretty much the same reasons. Sometimes it is really good for me to remember that God didn't place me here to be comfortable but to learn to know and trust him. To love him alone. I am so glad you had some time without kids to meet with the Creator. I am praying for some more immediate refreshing for you and that God will give moments like this often in the hard times to keep your hope alive! I love you.

Anonymous said...

Alisa,
Beautifully written, straight from an aching heart that God longs to comfort.

Know that he loves you dearly, he will not forsake you...that others love and care for you.

I am praying for you all, that God will give you wisdom and what you need during this time.

Love,
Anne

Marci said...

Alisa, I'm going through some sad times myself and that verse just encouraged me. Even if He doesn't...yes indeed that it a hard phrase for me to utter in times of hurt. I'm not there yet myself, but encouraged by your words and your heart and will be praying for you in your valley. Love, Marci

Anonymous said...

hi very interesting article thank you

Whitney said...

You are loved!

ayushisrivastava said...

hello ..