Monday, January 3, 2011

a little tiny soap box

So, it occurs to me that the blog post I wrote late last night may have come across a little too transparent for those of my readers who prefer light-hearted "Guess what Eli said today?" posts. I hope that I didn't send anyone into a panic - I am not planning to jump off any bridges, and I don't need an intervention. One of my New Year's goals is to blog as often as possible - and that means that on some days, you will see the sunny side of my life, and on others, you will see something much more raw. The truth is, as women, especially as Christian women, we tend to live lives of great secrecy. We share the whole truth - the really ugly, scary thoughts and emotions - with very few people, if any. We are afraid to speak up when what we experience or what we feel isn't found in any Beth Moore book. And this? The shiny half-truth that we clothe ourselves in before we head off to church or work or play group or Target? It's a tool of Satan. I know, I know, nobody's comfortable tossing around the word "Satan." But he's real. He is the enemy. And this enemy of ours tells me that the Me who is content, self-controlled, faithful, gentle, and patient is the "Christian me." And the one who fails to live out the fruits of the Spirit is the sinner, and has to hide. But the truth is, it's all just me. I'm a real human being, and I live a real life. I swear when I drop something on my foot. I lose my patience with my kids when they whine and fight and make messes. I feel real things joy and sorrow, lightness and anger, hopefulness and hopelessness. Yes, I strive to live a life that pleases and glorifies the Lord. I try to be controlled by the Spirit and not by my emotions. I am quick to repent when I know I am hurting His heart. But my humanity does not make me a hypocrite. Please, don't believe that yours does, either.

I have two purposes in writing this blog. One, to encourage other women that they are not alone, even in their ugliest moments. That is why I try to write very transparently. Oh, I self-edit, of course. I do so to protect the people I love (because really, I swear a lot more than my mother-in-law thinks I do). But I see no need for another blog about another "perfect" Christian woman. I love to hear from readers who tell me they can "so relate" to what I've written. But even more important to me is to ultimately point you to Christ. I hope, and I pray that even when I let you see me at my weakest and lowest points, you will understand that I still have incredible, unexplainable joy and hope in the arms of my Savior. It's a tough balance to strike, and I know I fail at it often. Thanks for coming back anyway. Tomorrow, I promise, will be all about my cute kids.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You're absolutely right, the "everything is perfect" face we feel forced to put on IS a tool of Satan because it further isolates us, makes us feel angry, and helps build resentment and judgement against others.

I don't care who you are, being a mom is HARD WORK whether you stay home, work outside the home, have 1 kid or 5 kids, or whatever. IT'S JUST PLAIN HARD. We need to lean on each other, not act as if we are a perfect island.

All that to say: you go, girl.

Karen said...

Hey Alisa - I usually end up being a secret blog lurker, not on purpose, it's just that I barely have time to read them, let alone stop to say hi. But I just wanted to chime in and thank you so much for your transparency in your writing and let you know from another not so perfect mom how much I really appreciate it.

Sometimes it scares me at just how closely what you describe mirrors my own feelings, esp. in your last post, but its also encouraging to know I'm not the only one, esp. when it comes to the tough issues like still waiting for answers, searching for direction, or constantly hearing no, and feeling like I'm struggling just to keep my head above water most days.

I'm not sure why as women we feel somewhat obligated to always look as if we have it all together, but I'm thankful for those who know I'm far from it and love me anyway. I hope you'll continue to share openly, again its really appreciated!

Mike and Jen said...

Preach it! We need to know the real each other.....not the surface 'good christian' because then we aren't a real community.
I'm glad you are going to blog often!