Saturday, May 3, 2008

sometimes, being a mother sucks

so, hopefully it goes without saying that i love my son, but just in case there's any doubt, let me assure you that i love my son. i love being a mom and i am excited to have more children. that said... i'd like to address for a moment the many injustices of becoming a mother. i'm sure there are people (beeyotches) out there who would say, "whoa now, she must not really love her child to speak this way!" to you, please see above. i've been told that i'm the girl who says what everyone else is thinking. so i'm going to take license to speak for the mommies out there who wish they could, just once, complain.

as a mom, the party line is, "i can't imagine my life without alexis/madison/jacob/atticus!" i've said this myself, usually while backpedaling after complaining about my son's incessant whining or inability to sleep through the night. but really, come on. of course i can imagine what it would be like to sleep until ten, go out to dinner on a whim, and leave the house to run errands carrying only my stylishly tiny purse. i remember what life was like B.K. (before kid), and it was good. at the time, of course, i thought i was exhausted, stressed out, and generally run ragged. ha. i miss being spontaneous and unplanned and unprepared. i miss going out for late dinners and drinking too many margaritas and watching an entire episode of top chef uninterrupted. i miss my pre-baby body. when did i go from being the cute girl at the bar to the lady with the back fat buying gloria vanderbilt shorts? yes, that actually happened.

it's no secret that having a child changes your life, but i wasn't prepared for how dramatically. no one is. and that's good, because if we all knew exactly what we were in for, nobody would have kids. one night, after my flu-ridden baby puked on me for the tenth time and my husband and i argued over who had to give the five a.m. bottle, and after i found that i still couldn't fit into any of my adorable pre-baby skirts, i sat on the floor of my closet and cried... and cried... and cried. i'm sure it won't be the last time. it's tough, this mommy business.

thank goodness there's a good news. the good news is, there is seriously nothing that can compare to my son's giggle, no smile that can match his two-toothed grin, no kiss better than his slobbery one on my nose. my son walked for the first time this week, and those four wobbly steps made me feel more accomplished than my best day teaching. it's okay to remember my free-wheeling days and even to wish, from time to time, that i could go back there. but one sweet "mama" makes me remember that, back-fat be damned, being a mom rocks.

2 comments:

K1ckL1qu1d said...

Hi! I imagine that you know Aaron Lindsey through Matt - I'm his sister, Rachel. Aaron sent me your blog 'cause he thought I would enjoy it and I got a good laugh! I can so relate!! My son is turning two tomorrow. Just wait, it's all going to get even MORE exciting! I just love being a mom! =)

By the way, are you on cafemom.com? It's a great place to connect to, and become friends with other mommies!! You can probably find me by doing a search: Rachel Schmidt and I'm in Cheektowaga (Buffalo) NY.

Alisa Reese said...

Hello! Yes, I know and love Aaron, and am happy to hear that he no longer has his little chin friend. :) I'm glad you enjoyed my blog. It's fun to read people's comments and know that they can relate. I haven't heard of cafemom - I'll have to check it out. I have to get my darling boy to the zoo now. Have a great day!