Friday, December 12, 2008

the little engine that can't

I just returned from a long evening of fighting bad roads, a crowded mall, and two cranky men in tow, and I... am... so... tired. I am experiencing a months-long episode of fatigue that is known in certain circles as "pregnancy." I know that I was tired with Eli - sometimes really, really tired - but this time I just cannot get my motor going. Every morning, I lay in bed and fight with myself: "I should really get up. Eli will be up in half an hour. I should get up and take a shower and get ready for the day. I should get up." Every afternoon, I decide to grab a "quick nap" while Eli naps, and an hour later I lay in bed and fight with myself: "I should really, really get up. I should get up and clean the kitchen and do some laundry and do something on my to do list." But I almost never get up until Eli is awake and I've lost my window of opportunity to do all of the things that I can't do when he's on the loose. Even when I do manage to pull myself out of bed early, I find that I'm controlled by an overwhelming sense of inertia. I feel like I'm moving through mud, forcing myself through every motion. I have had a handful of days where I've felt some real energy, and those days have felt amazing. I am so excited to meet this baby and I can't wait to have my new little bundle to snuggle and love on, but... how am I ever going to do this???

2 comments:

Danielle said...

Alisa, listen to me. You are tired because you need to rest. When the baby comes, you will be TIRED and getting up all night. The to-do list can wait. Listen to me. SLEEP. Get up when Eli does, nap through his WHOLE nap. Hire a housekeeper to come every couple weeks. Once the baby comes, you can't sleep whenever you want to. Rest NOW!!!!!

Dara Wills said...

You can do it, I know you can. I'll come over when we get back from our trip and help you out, and even better, I'll come bearing COFFEE!!!!