Wednesday, January 7, 2009

random rainy day thoughts

Things I'm thinking about today:

I don't mind the Portland weather, the long weeks of cloudy skies and rain. It doesn't rain as much as I thought it would, and the sun shines more than I thought it would, and when it does shine, the brilliant beauty of this place is worth all the wet. This is surprising to me, since I could hardly stand to live a year in Seattle, long ago. I guess I'm just happier now.

I hate ridiculously loud commercials - Bowflex, DirectBuy, Proactiv. I should just turn off the t.v., but then, I would really feel like I'd lost a friend.

I feel like I haven't spent time with friends in ages, with the holidays and the crazy weather and traveling and family in town. I'm craving some serious girl time and anxious to build deeper friendships here. Any takers?

We have tossed around the idea - albeit not seriously - of moving to Dubai for a year or two, where Ben could make enough money to get us out of debt much more quickly than our current economy will allow. At first I completely dismissed the idea, but now it's got me thinking. It would be an adventure...

I've read some wonderful books lately. The Lake of Dead Languages by Carol Goodman, A Live Coal in the Sea by Madeline L'Engle, and yes, Twilight - which was a surprisingly well-written page turner. The first two, however, were really excellent - the kind of story-telling that I wish I could produce. They both have some disturbing elements, but so many great books do. I think I need to start my own book club so I can discuss books like these.

I am incredibly, unspeakably thankful for my husband. This pregnancy has been hard on both of us, and he has stepped up and stepped in so selflessly. I know that if I were working long hours, the last thing I would want to do when I come home is feed and bathe and play with a tired, cranky toddler, but he does it without complaining or making me feel even more guilty than I do on my own. And he makes me laugh. And lets me eat more chocolate than the food pyramid allows.

6 comments:

Dara Wills said...

I am so glad to have a fellow lover of the rain and the beauty it brings. And please don't move to Dubai!

Melissa (5M Creations) said...

Please don't move. I feel like I have just started getting to know you. I was just telling Dara last week how long it has been and how much I want to all get together again soon. I am looking forward to Friday morning and wish I could join you Friday night. We need to make it a priority to spend time together. Our busy lives just get the best of us. Hugs friend!

Danielle said...

Move to Dubai!!! We'll come visit!!! We talk about moving to China or HK to get out of debt more quickly. Maybe you all could go to Dubai and we'll go to HK and then we'll move back to the states and go on fabulous vacations together with all our extra money. PLUS--you could totally afford help if you lived there!!!!

Danielle said...

ok, Seth just said his firm has an office in Dubai. So, if you go...

Unknown said...

The green summers in PDX are great, but the winter can be long. I would not realize how much it brought me down until the sun started to shine again in March. Of course, I was also chronically sleep deprived. The rain is a great excuse to drink more coffee and stay inside with a good book though.

Marci said...

I have a friend who lived for three months in Dubai and loved it, although she said it was very materialistic and flashy and obnoxious. Sounds like a perfect place to make some extra cash!