Monday, April 6, 2009

the countdown

The countdown is on, friends! I am being induced in ten short days. Several people have commented to me that they feel like this pregnancy has flown by. I think they're all smoking crack. I didn't much enjoy my first pregnancy, but this one has been pretty miserable. I don't take for granted the awesome privilege of carrying my children and I am so thankful that God has blessed me with this experience twice. But I can't wait to get this baby out!

Of course, I have some mixed feelings about Lucas coming.

Things I'm excited about:

  • Holding my precious little boy. I miss having a tiny bundle to cuddle with.
  • Bending over!
  • Being able to do normal things around the house without feeling like I'm going to pass out - picking up toys, unloading dishes, doing laundry, vaccuuming, you name it. Because the truth is, just because I can barely manage these tasks now, they don't go away. My overactive guilt complex keeps me from asking for help as much as I probably should, and my inner control freak wants to do it myself anyway.
  • Being able to keep up with Eli! I can't wait until I can chase him around the playground again!
  • My toes!
  • Wearing real person clothes again. I haven't gained as much weight with this baby (and I will have two built in calorie-burners in my boys), so I'm optimistic about getting back into my old clothes a little faster than last time.
  • Actually being able to sleep when I have the chance to sleep. Right now, so many forces conspire to keep me from sleeping now - achy hips, achy back, uncomfortably huge belly, overactive internal furnace, crazy pregnancy dreams. It is such a cruel trick of nature that I can't get enough sleep now when I need it the most.
  • Seeing Eli interact with the baby, and seeing my family grow.
Things I'm anxious about or not looking forward to:
  • Giving birth. My first labor lasted 36 hours and I spent 30 of them stubbornly refusing drugs. I learned my lesson and I'll get an epidural right away this time, but this time I also know how much it hurts. And of course, I have the usual fears of delivery. The other night I dreamed that I hemorrhaged to death while I was having the baby. Not a happy thought.
  • Breastfeeding. It didn't go well the first time around, so I'm really praying it goes more smoothly this time.
  • The physical aftermath of giving birth. A good friend of mine who recently had her first child called me to say, "Why didn't you tell me about all the crap that comes out after the baby's born?!" No kidding. Reading about locchia was nothing like experiencing it firsthand. Then there's the gelatinous mass that used to be my tight-as-a-drum baby belly, the overnight Anna Nicole boobs, the pain/burning/itching of said boobs, and the long, tough road back to a body that will never quite resemble the one I had before kids.
  • Sleep. I think about the mind-numbing exhaustion of having a newborn, and how this time I won't be able to lay around on the couch all day and sleep in between feedings... which is pretty much what I did the first two months of Eli's life.
  • Post-partum depression, which I had after Eli.
  • Adjusting to another person in our family. I know this will be a challenge for all of us, as excited as we are to have this baby. Eli has been our whole world for two years and it's hard to imagine loving another child as much as we love this one.
  • What will Lucas look like, and what will his temperment be? Shallow as it may be, we have one stinking cute little boy with a personality to match. Eli has always been a happy, easy going baby. What if Luke gets all of our recessive genes, or is a "high need" baby? Will I still love him as much?
So much to think about as I count off the hours until D-Day. I can't imagine how I would feel if I didn't know God's peace and hope, if I didn't know without a doubt that he is fully in control of all of this family-raising madness. Can't wait to have pictures for you all soon!

2 comments:

The Bessman Family said...

Alisa, you are amazing. I can hardly believe that this pregnancy is almost over for you. I can tell you that I had a lot of the same worries and fears. Some were justified and some were just plain silly. Yes, it was very tough having a toddler AND a newborn. And the first day Joe left me alone with both of them I cried in horror as if I had no idea what to do (well, I really didn't!) The sleep deprivation was hard... I won't lie. It makes it 100 times harder when you have another little person to take care of on top of it all. Brendan was a handful those first few weeks. And it seems like my postpartum depression set in faster and harder. I was miserable for awhile. And here I am 4 months later living to tell about it. :) So PLEASE feel free to call or e-mail me if you need someone to talk to or comiserate with! Hang in there... I'll be praying for you. Wish I could be close to bring you dinners and help out!

Melissa (5M Creations) said...

I love your honesty. I to have many of those same fears. But mostly I cannot wait to bend over again and not feel like my oxygen has been cut off. :)
I cannot wait to meet Baby Lucas. You will do great. Hugs! You are in my prayers for a fast easy delivery.