Tuesday, August 26, 2008

blech

In a word, that's how i feel. In case you're one of the ten people in the world who I've managed not to tell, I am pregnant with our second child. It's very early, and yes, I should have waited to tell, and yes, my husband and I agreed to wait to tell, and yes, I'm sure on the inside he's shaking his head in amazement at my inability to either keep a secret or keep an agreement to keep a secret. At any rate, I've told a lot of people, and I feel sick and tired and discouraged, so I might as well blog about it.

This baby was a definitely a surprise. While Eli was precisely planned for - prenatal vitamins taken, OB visited, contraband medications halted for months prior to conception - this one came as a bit of a shock. By no means a disaster, but definitely a moment of, "huh." Definitely a sense of, "Wow, let's clean out the nest - quickly." We were hoping that Eli would be past the 2 1/2 year mark when the next baby came along. Instead, this baby is due approximately three days after Eli's birthday. That would be one day after my birthday. That would be three - yes, three - birthdays in one week.

So, God has a sense of humor... but I do believe in his timing. I believe that God is sovereign. I believe that he will never bring us to a place that he won't then walk us through.

I have to tell myself that a lot these days, as I battle endless nausea, exhaustion, headaches, a ridiculously achy back (there's barely even in a baby in there yet!), and a general feeling of... blech. I had a rough pregnancy with Eli, but this time, I have Eli. In some moments, it feels absolutely impossible to endure a pregnancy and newborn while tending to a very active toddler. I know I felt bad the last time, and my mother reminds me that I complained about all of these symptoms the last time, and I tended to an entire class full of first graders the last time, but... somehow, this one seems harder. It's different emotionally, too. My mom had a series of miscarriages after her first healthy pregnancy. It's hard not to fear that history will repeat itself in me. So there's a little less thrill, a little more anxiety. I try to think of it as cautious optimism.

And so I remind myself, over and over and over again, of several important truths. 1) God will give me everything I need for every moment of every day - if I remain in him, he will remain in me. 2) God alone holds the number of our days, and that includes our children. I can rest in the knowledge that this baby is his child so much more than it is mine. 3) As my friend Kyla pointed out (Kyla, who has three little girls five and under and a husband away in the navy), even if my son watches cartoons and plays by himself while I lay comatose on the couch for an hour (or two), he will still grow into an intelligent, well-adjusted man who will not have mommy issues. 4) My amazing cousin and dear friend Danielle is surviving a high-intensity toddler and a colicky baby and doing so with amazing strength, wit, and class... and she doesn't even need makeup.

All of which is to say, I will survive. God will continue to bless my marriage, my relationship with my son, my unborn child (daughter, daughter, daughter), my homemaking, my health, and my relationship with him. Stay tuned.

7 comments:

Steve and Jenn said...

GOOD NEWS, well, mostly :) Sorry you feel so yucky! I am glad to hear how the Lord is speaking to your soul in all that yuckiness! I've been there several times! Interestingly the lessons are the same:trust, provision, sovereignty.

Unknown said...

Kyla is a wise woman and I second everything she said to you.

You don't have to be Super Mom to be an exceptional mom. Allow yourself what you need. Surprise pregnancies aren't the end of the world, but they are challenging mentally and physically in a different way than carefully planned ones. And, as you know, still an incredible blessing.

Hugs to you. I wish I could pop over with some ginger ale, chicken noodle soup a chick flick and whisk Eli away for the afternoon while you rest.

Anonymous said...

Huge congrats Alisa! After 2 totally unplanned pregnancies with Isaac & Emily (who are just 22 months apart) followed by 2 miscarriages before planning both Lisa and Keegan, we know all too well living life with many surprises & I can really sympathize with your thoughts today. Hang in there and know God's in control even when it may not feel evident.

Danielle said...

Honey!! I'm so sorry you feel awful again. I was really hoping for a non-nauseous pregnancy for you. I know what you mean about the second one being harder than having a classful of kids. Totally true!! And if I could grab Eli and let him and Brice run wild for a few hours every day, I totally would!!!! I can't be there with you physically, but i'm here for you in every other way!!!

Danielle said...

Congratulations! Dave and I will definitely be thinking/praying for you and your growing family as you balance turbulant pregnancy and a toddler.

Whitney said...

I love you. You are going to be okay. Kyla's advice is solid. Your advice to yourself is sound. It is okay to ask for help. It is okay to bawl every day. Let your house get messy - and relish in it. Dexter and I spent much time in bed when I was pregnant with Adeline - cuddling and watching cartoons. While Eli probably doesn't slow down enough to cuddle - I count that time as precious - or something like that:). So if you get a hand held for 30 seconds out of every 30 minutes of cartoons - then it is totally quality time with your little guy, so you're really just making yourself available for him. Throw in a "what do you think about that character's choices?" or a "don't do drugs." and you're totally having meaningful discussion as well. So, there you go... parenting advice, and my son made it through a whole week of kindergarten without getting his name clip moved! So I have totally done something right. All while watching cartoons (and sometimes Dawson's Creek) from a prone position - often with Coke and potato chips - only when Ryan wasn't home:). You will be okay - and your children will flourish. And we will be covering all of you in prayer. You are abundantly loved.

Emily said...

Alisa! I am excited for you, and I understand the anxiousness! I just had my 3rd, when I already had my well round busy family! Stella is a complete blessing and I can't imagine what we would do with only 2 kids! I can't wait to meet this new little blessing...I know I have a while to wait! Congratz!!