Friday, August 8, 2008

hair

so here's what i start thinking about when i'm up way past my bedtime. as i watched the season finale of "so you think you can dance" tonight, i was distracted the whole time by a disturbing observation. every single teenage girl in the audience had a side bang! you know, the longish bangs, swept to the side. as in, the haircut that i, until tonight, was proudly rocking. while i was busy being a Very Busy Woman, i failed to notice that i (specifically, my hair) was becoming irrelevant. apparently i have reached The Age of Awkward Hairstyle Choices. after seeing my hair on so many jonas-brothers-loving youngsters, i'm definitely ready to ditch my side bang, but i don't know where to go from here. i refuse to go short, although i do now understand the practicality of "The Mom Cut." but after my husband recently confessed how much he hated my short hair in college, and after looking through pictures of myself with said short hair, i am determined never to go that route again. so how do i approach the minefield of potential hair "don'ts?" i certainly can't go with the bangs pinned back. that's how hannah montana wears her hair (don't ask me why i know that), and i'm pretty sure that would be a step backwards. i can rock a really good ponytail, but i certainly don't need anything else to give me headaches. half the time lately i've just given up, wearing my hair in it's natural wavy/kinky/curly state (gasp!). so, what is the right hairstyle for a young(ish), modern(ish), hip (going too far) woman who wants to be adorable and adored (because, let's be honest, what we're all really looking for in a hairstyle is something to make all the guys want us and all the girls want to be us)? any suggestions?

6 comments:

Danielle said...

I am so in the same place. I wore a baseball hat for the month after Harry was born, now i'm into the ponytail (and resulting headache). Instead, i'm focusing on makeup and eyebrows and hoping no one will look at my hair if I have kick-ass eyebrows and bronzed cheeks.

Whitney said...

Ha - I told the lady at the salon today that I wanted to look like a really put together grown-up! Why is it so hard? At least you can laugh about it. And if it makes you feel better - I have always wanted to have your hair. And when I got home from my 2 hour appointment where my hair lost approximately 6 inches and was laboriously straightened, my sweet husband said he liked it long and curly:). Shouldn't have asked. Can't wait to see you.

Unknown said...

Let me know when you find the answers to these questions.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey Alisa, I actually love my hair. Oh, did that sound bratty? After sooo many years of hair struggles, I got mine to the best point ever. Long with long layers. Then Doug was returning from deployment and I thought, why don't I get those sexy side bangs? Unfortunately I followed through which led to me cutting my hair drastically around Thanksgiving time (just before ALL of the pictures people have added of me on facebook) and now it is finally growing out again. I will say though that Doug loves my hair with those wide stretchy headbands where I just tuck the bangs back in it, still to the side and you can even tell they aren't long layers. Anyway, who am I to talk about not going for the Juniors look. I just can't bring myself to shop women's departments yet!

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.