Tuesday, January 12, 2010

rainy day musings

I took the plunge today, friends: Grocery Outlet. I drove past one and then when I saw another one on the way home, I decided that God was asking me to be humble and buy some stinking cheap food. I expected to feel ashamed and dirty, wandering aisles of outdated, generic food like a supermarket leper. But actually, it wasn't bad. No different than the dollar store, really. I found my favorite sandwich bread, half-price, and it tasted perfectly fresh in my pb&j. I found some Dole canned fruit, very fresh bananas, and Spaghettios - all dirt cheap. God is teaching me to be humble... and humble some more. Go, Grocery Outlet!

Somehow, I can always tell when I've forgotten to lock Eli's bedroom door after putting him down for a nap. Even before he escapes, my Spidey sense starts to tingle.

I am seeing a new doctor in the never-ending quest to rid my life of headaches. This gentleman instructed me to stop taking Excedrin (which I gobbled like candy), stop taking Zoloft (which I was considering anyway - I'm not exactly postpartum any more), and stop using caffeine (whoa there, pal). I've followed his orders and have to admit that my headaches are already improving. Granted, I have zero energy and am massively irritable, but that should sort itself out over time.

I am excited for a new season of Project Runway. I am addicted to a show called Make It or Break It. It's about teen gymnasts. It's ridiculous in its angst and cheesiness, and I heart it. American Idol? Meh. Bring back the Gleeeeee.

I wonder if there are actually women whose homes are not in a perpetual state of disarray? Let me rephrase: I wonder if there are actually mommies-of-young-children whose homes are not in a perpetual state of disarray. Seems like I'm forever re-organizing a closet or cupboard or bookcase, and every time I think it's going to stay permanently organized because my organizational skills are just so darned organizey. Not so much, though.

I am ready for spring. Leaves and flowers and sunshine and warm weather and going outdoors.

I could really use some coffee.

4 comments:

Marci said...

LOL about the grocery outlet. I am the same way, totally suspicious of the dollar store food! =I'm like, what is wrong with the poptarts, are they three years old? Do they have worms? As if processed food ever goes bad. Anyway, glad you got you some sweet bargain food!!!!

Danielle said...

Funny!! Seth is always trying to get me to go to Aldi. The problem is, Trader Joe's is above it. Right when I'm ready to go, I think, "I should just run upstairs and buy a $5 bottle of wine."
My home is not in a perpetual state of disarray (usually), but my inner life is. That's worse, I think.

The Bessman Family said...

Perpetual state of dissaray? Absolutely. I constantly feel like I'm moving things from one place to another in an effort to reorganize only to find another place DISorganized... ARGHH!!! And the children "help" by empying the contents of my recently reorganized tupperware drawer and spreading them haphazradly among the kitchen and living room. I guess I can just sigh a great big "I'm not the only one" sigh of relief! :)

Unknown said...

I've come to accept disarray as a state of existence in the house. It won't always be like this, but for now it is. :)

Take it easy on the Zoloft wean if you haven't already. Glad you're feeling better.