Tuesday, June 17, 2008

how bittersweet to watch my child grow



I had the rare joy of getting my sweet baby boy to cuddle with me today in the big, comfy rocker where we spent so many hours this time last year. Elijah is almost 14 months old, and every day he becomes less of a baby. I love to watch him grow and change. I have the incredible privilege of staying home with him every day (for now), and I am amazed at the ways he changes right before my eyes. It's such a wonderful and heartbreaking time. I can't wait for each new stage, each new word, new skill, new understanding. I can't wait until Eli can talk with me and until I can teach him and read with him. And in the next breath, I want to freeze time and hold him in that rocking chair forever. I imagine it will be this way for the rest of his life. I'm sure my mom still feels that strange mix of elation and heartache when she looks at me. Oh baby boy, what a constant reminder of God's goodness to us.

2 comments:

Melissa (5M Creations) said...

Isn't it amazing how fast it all goes. It is so amazing to watch them learning so much. What little blessings God has entrusted us with.
How you are having a blessed week.
Love the picture. So precious.

Danielle said...

Alisa, this is totally how I feel. Always excited about the next new step, but torn up at how fast it's all going by. I understand now why the Bible said, "Mary treasured all these things in her heart."